What is an Essure procedure?
An Essure procedure results in permanent birth control. A small, flexible device called a micro-insert is placed into each fallopian tube. Once the micro-inserts are in place, and over a three-month period, body tissue grows into the micro-inserts, blocking the fallopian tubes. During this three month period, you will need to use another form of birth control. Blocking the tubes is intended to prevent sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg, and thereby preventing pregnancy.
An Essure confirmation test is needed three months later to confirm the fallopian tubes are occluded completely.
What are the Benefits?
- No incisions, so there are no unattractive scars
- 99.80% effective (based on 4 yrs of clinical data)
- Quick return to normal activities
- Can be performed in our office with minimal local anesthesia
- No hormones or silicone to interfere with your body
- Unlike birth control pills, rings, and some IUDs, Essure is hormone free
- Your periods should more or less continue in their natural state
- Covered by most health insurance plans
- Peace of mind with the Essure Confirmation Test 3 months following the Essure.
- Sexual spontaneity in your relationship without the worry of an unplanned pregnancy.
How is the Essure procedure performed in an in-office setting?
- A numbing agent is inserted into the cervix and uterus.
- Then a camera device called a hysteroscope is passed through the opening of the cervix into the uterus to visualize the openings of both fallopian tubes.
- A small, flexible tube containing the micro-insert is then inserted through the camera device and advanced into one tube and then the other. This takes approximately 2-5 minutes.
- Some patients experience some mild discomfort and pressure but, tolerate the procedure well.
- If you are considering future pregnancies, you should not have this as it is irreversible.
- Let your physician know if you have a nickel allergy confirmed by skin testing
- Contraindicated with allergy to contrast dye
For more information visit www.essure.com